Saint Brendan School is a neighborhood parish school that educates and nurtures students in a safe environment rich in Catholic identity and tradition. Our community of faculty, students,support staff and families are dedicated to developing the gifts in each child. With a rigorous academic program, we seek to impart the knowledge, skills and confidence that our students need to become independent thinkers, life long learners and strong practicing Catholics living in service to Christ.
Our School History
Saint Brendan School, built by parishioners of Saint Brendan Church in 1951, is a single grade elementary school addressing the educational needs of its parishioners. Our school is located in the Cedar Grove section of Dorchester bordering Milton and Quincy. The school, formerly staffed by Sisters of Saint Joseph, has provided quality education for an annual enrollment of approximately 245 students. For more than fifty years St. Brendan School has been a vital part of our parish community. We continue to function as a successful and competitive school due to the overwhelming spiritual and financial support of our parishioners.
The strength of St. Brendan School lies in the dedicated, creative, professional, caring and faith-filled faculty and the sense of unity that exists between the school and the home. Teachers are truly committed to the development of the whole child.
Every student is expected to be respectful, honest, and responsible for his/her own actions. Jesus is the role model for all students at St. Brendan School.
St. Brendan School is accredited by the Archdiocese of Boston. The ten year accreditation challenges our school to maintain a program of excellence and accountability.
- The Learning Center
- Physical Education
- Social Studies
- Title I
- After School Peer Tutoring
- Great Books
Saint Brendan School does not discriminate for admission on the basis of race, creed, sex or color; however, children of registered parishioners who have applied and have been evaluated will be accepted according to the following criteria:
- Passing entrance exam (or Readiness Screening for Kindergarten).
- Families who have siblings presently at our school.*
- Children of registered parish families (parents) who are active in parish ministries or volunteer regularly in parish activities and who attend Church weekly and support the parish financially with Church envelopes (minimum of $250 per year which is $5 per week). This expectation could rise with the cost of living.
- Children of registered parents attending Church weekly but contributing less than $250 annually.
- Applicants who are not registered but live within parish boundaries.
- Families not registered and not attending St. Brendan Church who live outside the parish boundaries will only be considered for placement if there are no longer candidates on a waiting list and there is an opening.
- The word “parishioner” does not necessarily mean living within parish boundaries. It also includes families living elsewhere but choosing to worship at St. Brendan. (The criterion is not only geographical but Church involvement.)
- If there are too many applicants for any grades, the above considerations become applicable. If the seats are not filled after considerations 1 & 2, then the other applicants who qualify in #3 will have their names put into a lottery and selected at random for the remaining seats. Should this not result in a full class, a lottery at each subsequent level will be conducted.
- After all seats are filled through the above process, there will be a waiting list of all remaining applicants chosen by lottery and those chosen will be notified immediately if a seat becomes available.
- Anyone on a Waiting List is expected to continue meeting the above criteria. Before a child will be accepted to Saint Brendan School all immunization and academic records, birth certificate, and a Baptismal certificate must be on file.